Saturday, December 28, 2013

As we let our own light shine.



I am not a motivational speaker. I don't have an MA or MFA in creative writing. I just love images and words so deeply I've never been able to stay away. All through my childhood, I carried journals with me every second of every moment, taking notes, writing the thoughts that came, writing from places of hope and fear and lust and love.

I remember in my early twenties, I mentioned to a friend that someday I would share my writing. She told me, "you need an MFA to be a writer." Or this paper or that paper or this meaningless homework or time put in at an official place.

But what about the studying of poetry for hours on my own, the hearing of syllables, the passion for the flow of it, the books of literature I came back to over and over again?

Fast forward ten years later, I've been published in quite a few places now, more than I'd ever dreamed. I've been a ghost writer for political bloggers to surgeons to life coaches to companies, I've done children's books various websites, newspapers and a couple of magazines. I have an article that's been shared over 250k times and I've had quite a few other opportunities appear just because I stuck with my passion.

This is not to brag or boast or shame anyone. This is to simply encourage others. If you are a musician, play. If you are a painter, paint. If you were born a writer, then write your heart out without a darn care about ridiculous paperwork and red tape. Because if you hear the music when you write, if you are lifted into the wonder and alignment, and universal force when you sit down to write, then you are a writer.

And if a thought comes to your head when you look at an image, share it. This world is starving for realness and truth.

If you are not yet familiar with Marianne Williamson, you should become familiar.

"Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

You can listen to the cynics and the downers all you'd like, but I'm here to tell you that 

none of that matters. Stand up and radiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment